[scyld-users] distcc on scyld?

Joel Krauska jkrauska at cisco.com
Thu Jan 13 23:38:42 PST 2005

For fun I started trying to setup my scyld-beowulf cluster to run distcc.

I've run across a fundamental problem.

The compute nodes don't have access to any of the compilers.
So gcc can't spawn cc1:
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory

I'm fairly certain this is by-design in that the Bproc application
migration apparently loads locally and then migrates to the compute nodes.

I'm not sure what to think about this.

Is it foolish to allow expand the nfs share beyond just /home and allow
the compute nodes access to the full binary tree?

I wanted to disect this a bit further and thought I'd run a simple perl
script.

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "hello world\n";

You can't get much simplier than that..

It runs fine on the master node, but fails when trying to run on a
compute node:
$ bpsh 0 ./testperl
/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot

So essentially it seems to me that any application or tool that needs to
dynamically load /anything/ will be difficult to get going under scyld.

Are there ways around this sort of problem?

Thanks,

--joel