[scyld-users] Boot Problems: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller

pjgsmith at mail.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca pjgsmith at mail.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 23 07:18:09 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm currently having problems setting up a Beowulf cluster and was
hoping someone could lend me some help.

The problem I'm having is with my nodes. I have 64 diskless nodes, and
each is equipped wiht a Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller,
however after installing the newest e1000 module from Intel and
configuring the config.boot I receive the following error on all the
nodes while attempting to phase 1 boot:

Module install failed
failed command insmod /modules/e1000
no usable network interfaces found

I am fairly certain that the e1000 module is present and that the
configuration is correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could debug/resolve such
a problem?

Cheers,
Phil Smith