[scyld-users] bpsh in background: defunct processes

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Sep 30 17:08:04 PDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Anand Bedekar wrote:

> -- The cluster is running "Scyld Beowulf Basic Edition
> 27bz-8" (not RedHat 7: my mistake). Could you tell me
> if the bug with processing status and termination
> messages was fixed prior to or after this release?

It was fixed well after that release.

> -- Does this release have the beomap and beorun
> dynamic scheduling functionality you described?

No, the beomap subsystem was added for the 28 series, and beorun is
"previewed" in the current release with the full feature set in the
upcoming 29 series release.

> -- If the answer to either of the above is "no", is
> there any alternative way (without upgrading) to make
> sure that the processes don't go defunct, e.g. by
> somehow sending a signal to the run.sh script called
> by bpsh or something? Our sysadmin appears reluctant
> to upgrade.

I'll look into that.
I know one site implemented a fix as a module, specifically so they
wouldn't need to reboot the master node.  Presumably they had a
long-running job...

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993