[scyld-users] compilation errors on High Performance Computing Linpack Benchmark (HPL)

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon May 12 18:09:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Shaohui Liu wrote:

> I am a new beowulf user. I am trying to bench mark my cluster which was built on top of some old PCs. My master is a PII, and the rest are PIs.
> Here is OS:
> Linux beowulf1 2.2.19-12.beo #1 Tue Jul 17 17:10:45 EDT 2001 i686 unknown.

Ahhh, this is an old distribution from the 27 series, likely 27bz-9 or
27cz-9.

> I was running a make program for HPL, and got an error which I could
> not solve. Here is the portion of the error msg ( I add echo to
> options):
> ++ f77 -L/usr/lib HPL_pddriver.o HPL_pdinfo.o HPL_pdtest.o -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -funroll-loops -o /home/sliu/hpl/bin/Linux_PII_CBLAS/xhpl /home/sliu/hpl/lib/Linux_PII_CBLAS/libhpl.a /usr/lib/libcblas.a /usr/lib/libatlas.a /usr/lib/libmpich.a -lmpich -lbproc -lpvfs -Wl,--undefined=beowulf_sched_shim,--undefined=get_beowulf_job_map -lbeomap -lbeostat -ldl
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpvfs
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Hmmm, if this is the low-cost basic edition (with "bz" in the part
number), it did not ship with the PVFS file system libraries.

The basic editions were intended as a minimal complexity, plug-and-go
deployment platform.
The PVFS (Parallel Virtual File System) implementation requires specific
configuration to match the cluster configuration and application usage.
Thus we provided the precompiled PVFS libraries with the professional
and supported developer's releases, but not the basic/deployment releases.

The solution is to   -lpvfs   from the compile line.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993