[scyld-users] Help! Endless RARP requests

Gregg Germain saville at comcast.net
Sat Aug 23 12:55:02 PDT 2003

Hi,

 I have the SCYLD Beowulf Basic edition (Red Hat 6.2) which I got from
Linux Central.

 I installed it on a PC with 2 ethernet cards.

 The installation went gret. Next I connected another PC to the Master
node by dirctly connecting the slave nodes eth0 card to the Master
Node's eth1 card.

 I then booted the slave node using the SCYLD CD.  Booting seems to go
well but thren it gets to the point where it's making RARP requests and
it stays there forever. Eventually the slave node reboots itself and
then gets stuck inthe RARP request once again.

 Can anyone give me a hint as to what I need to do to get the master
node to respond?

an /sbin/ifconfig on the master node shows that the eth1 card is active
and operating in the range selected at install time.

 Do I need to connect through a hub? I know I have to get on eventually
for the second slave, but I thought I coudl get the first one going
without a hub.

thanks for any help yu can give.

Gregg