[realtek] RTL8100B support

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Oct 9 05:56:00 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Orlando Andico wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Donald Becker wrote:
> ..
> > > I notice that both modules have to be loaded for the ethernet
> > > interface to work.
> >
> > This should not be true.  Either one should work alone.
>
> It's true.  :)
>
> If both interfaces are 8139too, I get a SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device when
> I try to bring up eth0.

The driver modules detect only their supported devices, so this is
normal if you load two modules and then unload the first.

> The driver version is 0.9.26 from 2.4.20-pre9 (hmm.. the version from
> gkernel.sourceforge.net is also 0.9.26 but I can't build it outside the
> kernel tree).

Try the drivers from scyld.com
  mkdir /tmp/netdrivers/
  cd /tmp/netdrivers/
  ncftp ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers.tgz
  tar xfvz netdrivers.tgz
  make
  make install

> (as an aside, the alternate 8139C+ driver in 2.4.20-pre9 does *not* work
> with this particular incarnation)

It won't...

BTW, I consider it a bad idea to split out the "C+" support.  Even
though the "C+" chip adds a much more efficient transfer mode, the part
numbers are so similar that having two drivers is likely to lead to
tremendous user confusion.

> I've also tried the rtl8139 driver as you suggested. If I set both NIC's
> as rtl8139, eth1 fails to initialize (no such driver). Regardless, the
> drivers always report a "transmit timeout" -- and, it doesn't work anyway
> (can't ping). 'mii-tool -w' says "autonegotiation failed, link ok" whereas
> with the 8139too driver it works fine.

What is the output of 'mii-diag' ?

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com