[realtek] gcc error message

Wm. G. McGrath wgm@telus.net
Sun Jun 9 14:54:01 2002

Hi all,

Feels kind of funny to answer my own email, but since I solved this
problem I thought it was the least I could do in case someone else
can benefit from my experience.

My problem centers around a D-LINK DFE-538TX/R. This card uses the
Realtek 8139 chip. BUT there are two drivers which claim to be the
appropriate driver for this card - the 8139too and the rtl8139. I
thought I needed to compile my driver to a current version because
it would not install properly in potato. In fact, this was because I
was selecting the rtl8139 driver - not the 8139too driver.

The documentation on the rtl8139 driver page led me to believe that
this was the correct driver for my card since it uses the rtl8139
chip - which it does - along with a lot of others.

 **** BUT THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT DRIVER. ****

It might work on other D-LINK cards but not the DFE-538TX/R. For
this card the 8139too works. So if the rtl8139 driver refuses to
install try the 8139too.

I hope this information is of some use to others. I would ask our
D-Link gurus to take pity upon us lesser mortals and perhaps add a
line or two to the current Realtek page to reflect this in some way.
I understand there are many cards using this chip, and multiple
authors as well, so I am sure there is no shortage of confusion.
Let's not compound it with obfuscation, eh? An integrated 8139 or
DLink driver is probably too much to suggest, but helping humble
users sort out which driver to use would probably benifit everyone.

	hope this helps someone,

	bill