[realtek] kernel-module mismatch with RTL8139

Umair Yousufi Umair.Yousufi@UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Jun 5 00:02:01 2002

I'm trying to get a D-Link DFE-530Tx+ (revD1) ethernet card running on a SuSE Linux 7.1 machine.  PCI Vendor ID is 1186 and PCI Device ID is 1300 on the card.

I've installed the updated network driver files (netdrivers-3.1-1), and then do 'depmod -a'.  In the /lib/modules/'uname -r'/net/ directory, running 'modprobe rtl8139' I get the following error (paraphrased):

pci-scan.o:  kernel-module mismatch
  pci-scan.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.0
  while this kernel is version 2.4.0-4GB

...then the standard insmod errors show up.

IMHO, it seems like it should work, but that there is  some problem related to reporting of which linux versions are acceptable.  I've tried previously using 2.2.1.8 with both the netdriver3.0 and netdriver3.1 files.  With the 3.1 files, I ran 'rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver*.spec' and also got errors which were related to kernel version.  I traced those errors, to a kern_compat.h file, which excluded the definition of MODULE_LICENSE based on LINUX_VERSION_CODE (MODULE_LICENSE shows up in the driver and pci-scan files).  I'm not exactly sure how to interpret this.

Any ideas?  I've tried a long time myself, searched the archive, etc. and am at wit's end.  I've added exerpts from some output from a few commands, if it helps.  As a last resort, I may try compiling the version that came on the floppy w/ the ethernet card (as someone in the archive suggested).

much thanks

--
Umair Yousufi

-----------cat proc/pci--------------------

  Bus  2, device   9, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
      Vendor id=1186. Device id=1300.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xb800 [0xb801].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee800000 [0xee800000].

Module                  Size  Used by
mousedev                3856   0  (unused)
hid                    11680   0  (unused)
input                   2880   0  [mousedev hid]
usb-uhci               19056   0  (unused)
usbcore                45104   1  [hid usb-uhci]