[realtek] Re: samba problem

Kirk Wolff kirk@kirk.homeip.net
Sun Jun 2 20:48:02 2002

I am glad I could help!

don't hesitate to ask more questions.  I would like to keep updated on your
experiences with the Realtek network card driver.  I am watching the Realtek
driver-mailing list too, but I haven't seen any advancements or discussion
of the problem.  I think that Donald Becker is pretty busy on other
projects, as he is responsible for most of the network card drivers that are
in the Linux kernel to-date.

I have had great performance and experience with the 3c905 cards, I
recommend those models (though they are harder to come across anymore) over
most any others.  I am not exactly a fan of the Netgear cards as they aren't
directly in the Linux kernel.  The driver for the Netgear cards is
indirectly supported by the tulip card driver -- which has support for the
lite-on cards -- which is compatible with the NC100 (Netgear) cards.  Its
really confusing and EXTREEMELY ambiguous as to whether the most recent
Netgear cards are actually supported by the tulip driver distributed with
the 2.4.18 kernel.  I really wish that they would say EXACTLY what cards the
drivers are written for, and what cards the drivers are 'EXPECTED' to work
on.  That would make things very smooth, problem is that Linus isn't really
worried about network card support since he's been working on the USB
projects, and hot-plug-PCI, among other things.  The other problem is there
isn't a central "network-card-for-Linux" website out there.  There are a few
that fain to explain what cards are working with what drivers, but I think
its incomplete, unstandardized, and out-of-date.

enough banter.

Hope to hear your progress.

- Kirk