[realtek] problem with dual RTL8139 boards

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jan 1 22:26:01 2002

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, John A Ogren wrote:

> Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 20:05:30 -0700
> I'm trying to get two RTL8139 boards running in my Linux box, so I can
> eventually connect a cable modem to my home network.  Both my cards work
> normally if they are the only network card installed (i.e., they can
> ping hosts on my home network). However, if both the cards are installed
> at the same time, only one of them works.  I can swap them on the PCI
> bus, and then the other card works.  The problem seems to be associated
> with the PCI bus -  when two cards are installed, only the one in a
> particular PCI slot will work with my network. If only one network card
> is installed, it works in any PCI slot.

What motherboard type?
Have you read the manual about bus-master limits?  Some A-bit
motherboards share the bus-master pins between two adjacent slots.

It's more likely that you are misinterpreting the symptons, and actually
have a routing problem.

>    ifcfg-eth0  \____ both files are present and identical, except for
>    ifcfg-eth1  /     IPADDR= and DEVICE= lines.
>                      One has IPADDR=192.168.1.1
>                      Other has IPADDR=192.168.0.1
>                      My local network is at 192.168.1.x
> The "good" PCI slot is always assigned to eth1 at bootup.  If I swap the
> IPADDR values in the two ifcfg-eth? files (and restart the network), I
> cannot ping machines on the local network.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993