[realtek] need help with RTL8139 driver

TD - Sales International Holland B.V. td@salesint.com
Fri Feb 15 06:24:01 2002

On Thursday 14 February 2002 22:25, Bernardo Diaz stuffed this into my
mailbox:

Please note that you're on the wrong mailing list. I'll will give you some
pointers tho'. Anyways, this list concerns the driver for the network card in
LINUX!!! environments. Something you're not in obviously :-)

First of all, uninstall the software your provider gave you, it's outdated
and it's NOT going to work on WindowsXP.
There are 2 common ways to setup a connection using ADSL, one is VPN (less
common), the other PPPoE (more common). Both are supported by WinXP natively
so you don't need any extra software for that (plus point, explorer now
recognizes the connection so it can dial-out on it's own). In configuration
screen/network hit new connection unfortunately I can't lookup the exact
names now (i'm in xfree86/linux). If it uses VPN, you need to choose business
connection or something or connection to work, something in those lines and
choose VPN, if it's PPPoE use new internet connection/cable or something in
those lines (don't use dial-up). Then enter username n password n stuff and
it should work. I've used it on cable ISP's here (PPPoE) and my own ADSL
(VPN) both work fine, it's just not totally clear where you have to be in VPN
case cuz MS seems to think it's only used for small network, while my ISP
uses it for internetnetworking as well, so it's in a section (business/work
connection) you might not expect it to be in.

Anyways, you don't have problems with your network card. If you're not able
to solve this with the above kinda sucky guidelines call your ISP's helpdesk,
they should be able to talk you through easily. In case that's expensive, you
appear to have a working internet connection since you're sending mail, check
their support page, some ISP's I've seen have really nice guidelines with
pictures n stuff and it should prove easy to setup if you can follow those.

Regards