[realtek] Problems with mii-tool and Realtek Driver

abhishek Sinha aby_sinha@yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 14:50:00 2002

Hello List member

I am using a MSI MS-6368 motherboard the documentation
shows that the LAN device is an RTL8100L 10/100 Fast
Ethernet connection.I have installed Redhat on the
machines and with one of the machines the transfer
rate is very slow.

Also when i run mii-tool the output is strange

GOOD MACHINE:
 [root@gateway3 root]# mii-tool
 eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
 [root@gateway3 root]#

 this is the bad machine
 [root@gateway4 root]# mii-tool
 eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
 [root@gateway4 root]#

I am sending some SCP results over a good machine and
a bad machine so that the difference is highlighted

 HERE IS A SCP RESULT TO gateway3 then gateway4
 [root@gateway2 email]# scp adMTAv1.7.tar
216.34.200.28:/root
 root@216.34.200.28's password:
 adMTAv1.7.tar        100%
|*******************************************|
 8710 KB    00:18
 [root@gateway2 email]# scp adMTAv1.7.tar
216.34.200.29:/root
 root@216.34.200.29's password:
 adMTAv1.7.tar        100%
|*******************************************|
8710 KB    00:44
[root@gateway2 email]#

 our switch is set to 100MB FDX (no auto nego)

I tried using mii-tool --force the media to behave at
100Base TX_FD but the command doesnt stick to the
system.

I have tried various cables but there hasnt been any
change.

Any help on the matter as to why the card is slow and
why is it showing 10Mbit no link, would be
appreciated.I am not on the list so please be kind to
CC me the answers

Thanks

Abby