[realtek] Ethernet card config - Bering

David Dannemiller DPDannemiller@earthlink.net
Mon Aug 5 00:09:01 2002

> From: Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 00:12:02 -0400 (EDT)

> OK, this tells us that there were immediate transmit errors.
> I suspect the problem is that the card is not in a bus-master slot.

>>> Some PCI slots don't support bus masters.  That's easy to understand and
>>> avoid.
>>> Worse, some PCI motherboards (e.g. Abit) share one set of bus master
>>> signals between two slots.  So a bus master card will work in either
>>> slot, but you cannot plug in two bus masters that are simultaneously
>>> active.

During all the configurations I've tried for debugging, I've gotten each
D-Link card to work individually, but they don't work together.  I've also
had D-Link & Linksys cards installed, and they don't work together.  So I'm
assuming I may have one of the dreaded share-one-set-of-bus-master-signals
motherboards, and that the 2 D-Link boards will probably not work in my
Compaq.

I purchased a used ISA NE2000 card which, with the older D-Link card, is
working fine.  So I'm up - thanks a million.

>> How can I dump the EEPROM contents?
>
> rtl8139-diag -ee

I know from previous posts that you not only like to get people up, but also
like to get to the root of the problem.  I like that conclusion also - the
more I can learn and fix the better.  The only outstanding data you've asked
for is the EEPROM contents.  Is that still useful?  If so, I'll be glad to
dump and post.  Anything else?

DPD