[realtek] NFS problems, again

Bertram Bourdrez bourdrez@casema.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:54:45 +0100

Before I start I'd like to say that I've read all I could from Google
searches and list archives but I have found very little.

In the archive of this list I found a message describing a problem that
could cause a RealTek card to lock up when transfering large ammounts of
data over NFS. This could be solved by ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up.

I have been experiencing the same problem with the latest driver from
ftp.scyld.com even though someone replied to the above post saying it was
fixed in 1.11. It's a specific NFS problem, scp, ftp and the like work. Even
reverse NFS, with the server running the 8139too driver and the client
(which is really the network server) running 2.2.18 with rtl8139 worked.
I'm not about to upgrade the server to 2.4.0 so I would like to continue
serving NFS with the rtl8139 driver, but this seems to be rather hard. Any
ideas if this is the same bug or a new one? I would guess the problem wasn't
completely fixed in 1.11

Any ideas?

--
Bertram Bourdrez