[realtek] HW address is 00:00:00:00:00:00

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:50:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Juan Francisco Torres Chacon wrote:

> I installed the distribution, and in the detection phase, the onboard
> Network Card is detected an a Realtek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Driver is
> choosen. But when I see the details , i find:
>
> eth0 SiS900 Realtek RTL 8139 Fast Ethernet found at 0xde00 IRQ 1,
> 00:00:00:00:00:00

Hmmm, what driver version are you using?  It's likely pretty old.

Do you really have a SiS chip?

When the SiS900 chip first came out I got a report that mixed it up with
a RTL8139.  That caused me to incorrectly add it to the PCI ID match
list in the rtl8139 driver.  Soon after I discovered that the SiS900 was
really a new design, and removed it from the driver.  But the incorrect
driver briefly made it into the kernel, and the bogus table entry was
put into several BSD distributions.

> Is this a IRC problem or something?

That's an unusual IRQ... so unusual that it's likely broken.
A common cause of this type of problem is a card not fully seated in
the PCI slot.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993