[realtek] Problem with Cardbus card / 8139too driver

Stefan Friedle stefan@friedle.de
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:57:11 +0100

Hi Bruno,

  thank you for your reply and your help.  I will test this, when I
boot my linux box next time.  But for now I have another question
about your answer.

> It's seems there's some confusion in here...
>
> First of all you don't need to use the pcmcia-cs package
> with kernels 2.4.x, because they already come with pcmcia
> support.

  I followed the instructions in Documentation/Changes in the linux
source tree.  And there I've read that I need the pcmcia-cs
package.  The cardmgr e.g. is in this package, and this tool I need
to run my cardbus cards, or am I wrong?  And the pcmcia-cs
README-2.4 says that I could use the kernel driver or the pcmcia-cs
driver but I need the tools from this package.

> Then check your /etc/modules.conf and see if you have there
> something like:
>
> alias eth0 8139too
>
> If you don't add it.

  Ok, that's ture, I don't have this line in my modules.conf file.
But I have a question about this.  With this line I bind the 8139too
module to the first ethernet device.  When I now insert another
card, e.g. an NE2000 compatible card which uses the pcnet_cs module,
what would happen?  And when I insert my RealTek card after another
ethernet card, the device eth0 is in use and normaly the 8139too is
the device eth1.  How can I handle such an situation with a line
like the above in modules.conf?

  I hope you have the time to answer my question an help me to get
it work.  Thanks in advance,

  Stefan