[realtek] Realtek 8139c - Beowulf

Riordan, Ben BRiordan@cfund.org
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:19:11 -0400

Hello

	David, my 14 year old son, and I are building a Beowulf.  David
loves computers and he is very talented/knowledgeable about them.  We read
about Beowulf systems in an issue of "Wired", and we decided to build a four
node system with a master unit.  He has several ideas about what he wants to
develop to run on it once the hardware is configured and operational,
however the first set of goals for the project are: 1) learn as much as
possible about building the system,  2) learn a new OS - Linux (Redhat 7.1)
3) problem-solving with his friends who are now becoming interested and
involved, and 4) have fun.

	The nodes 1 to 4 are 1ghz AMD processors on an KVE7 motherboard with
a Realtek 8139c network interface card.  We ordered the nodes without cd
drives only floppy drives as we anticipated using NFS to clone the nodes.
We are having a devil of a time compiling the source code and installing the
drivers.  We are using a netboot strategy to start the process, however our
8139.o is not loading.

	Are there compiled versions available for Redhat 7.1 kernel 2.4.2
that we can use to install?

	Thank you.
	Ben Riordan
	briordan@cfund.org