[realtek] 8139too performance - can you shed some light?

Carlo E. Prelz fluido@fluido.as
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:58:52 +0200

	Subject: Re: [realtek] 8139too performance - can you shed some light?
	Date: Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:05:53AM -0700

Quoting Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com):

> For what it's worth, I see about 20-40% CPU usage improvement when going
> from the realtek to the EEPRO NICs.  I'm not sure why, but it is definately
> noticable.  That may be a cheaper design modification than re-working
> your CPU.  That said, it takes me about 500Mhz of PII to run 80Mbps
> bi-directional sustained over a period of time on EEPRO 100Mbps-FD
> links.

Well, I am using a SBC, one of those cute little PC's-on-a-board with
both CPU and ethernet chip soldered on-board. I could ask the people
in Taiwan who produce the card to make changes for me, but I expect it
would be very expensive. This is a small project... And the 400MHz PII
machine was running a cheap 8138 netcard and performed just as
needed...

Thanks again

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe