[realtek] Promiscuous mode wedges rtl8139 driver?

Bart Schaefer schaefer@zanshin.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:25:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Ferry van Steen wrote:

> I always wonder why people want to run a stable OS under an unstable
> OS. The opposite would look more obvious to me....

Hmm.  Until this month, I always considered linux to be the stable OS.
(I'm running vmware under linux/X11, with windows under vmware, not the
other way around.)

More news:  Yesterday RedHat released kernel 2.2.19-6.2.1.  Upgrading to
that kernel -- which returned the rtl8139 driver to an older version,
v1.09j or something like that (I can't check just now) -- resolved the
promiscuous mode problem.  So whatever the issue is, it's an issue new to
the very latest driver from ftp.scyld.com.