[realtek] D-Link DFE-538TX/R

John Roberts jroberts@surf.sno.laurentian.ca
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:50:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Don et al,

Thanks for your quick reply.  More info is posted below:

> > A glance at /proc/pci showed me that this card's PCI ID is 1186:0300, whereas
> > the TX is 1186:1300.
>
> Yes, that's a new ID.
>
> Please run
>    rtl8139-diag -p 0xb400 -ee -m
> to verify that this is actually a RTL8139 chip.
>
> The diag programs are at
>   http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

Doesn't look good:

# ./rtl8139-diag -p 0xb400 -ee -m
rtl8139-diag.c:v2.01 1/8/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Assuming a Realtek 8129 adapter at 0xb400.
EEPROM size test returned 8, 0xfffffff / 0x1fffffff.
Parsing the EEPROM of a RealTek chip:
  PCI IDs -- Vendor 0xffff, Device 0xffff, Subsystem 0xffff.
  PCI timer settings -- minimum grant 255, maximum latency 255.
  General purpose pins --  direction 0xff  value 0xff.
  Station Address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.
  Configuration register 0/1 -- 0xff / 0xff.
 EEPROM active region checksum is 17e8.
EEPROM contents:
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
 The word-wide EEPROM checksum is 0xffc0.
 ***WARNING***: No MII transceivers found!
 The RTL8139 does not use a MII transceiver.
 It does have internal MII-compatible registers:
   Basic mode control register   0xffff.
   Basic mode status register    0xffff.
   Autonegotiation Advertisement 0xffff.
   Link Partner Ability register 0xffff.
   Autonegotiation expansion     0xffff.
   Disconnects                   0xffff.
   False carrier sense counter   0xffff.
   NWay test register            0xffff.
   Receive frame error count     0xffff.

> > Recompile, reboot, and the card is detected as eth1.  I configured it using
> > ifconfig, and that was successful, but I am still unable to ping any other
>
> What was the detection message?

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.15d loaded
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 02:0d.0
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 02:09.0
8139too: 02:0d.0: unknown chip version, assuming RTL-8139
8139too: 02:0d.0: TxConfig = 0xffffffff
eth1: D-Link DFE-538TX/R (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xd9804000, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, IRQ 5
eth1:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139'

My SBLive is also using IRQ5.

This all looks like I don't actually have an RTL-8139, right?

Damn.  I wish network card manufacturers wouldn't change their chipsets so much.
The rtl8139.c included on the floppy with the card doesn't detect my PCI ID
either :)

Cheers, John