[realtek] Help me!

William T Wilson fluffy@snurgle.org
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, ful wrote:

> when I use gcc with the option explain in the driver it give me a lots
> of errors.

I always had lots of trouble compiling the driver as distributed too.

Fortunately, the rtl8139 driver is distributed with most modern linux
systems, and is included in 2.0.x (doesn't work very well) and 2.2.x
(works much better).  Unless you need to use the modern driver with 2.0,
you should do ok just compiling the one that comes with the kernel.  If
you only want the driver module and not the whole kernel, go through the
normal kernel configuration process, but build only the modules.  If the
kernel is the same version it should work fine.

But in most cases, you shouldn't even have to do this; the module should
already be compiled for you and stored as a module in /lib/modules
somewhere.