VIA Rhine Driver Bug

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat May 13 11:49:47 2000

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Luke B. Bishop wrote:

> To: linux-realtek@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov
> Subject: VIA Rhine Driver Bug
>
> 	I think this is the right place to post this, please excuse me if I'm
> misdirected.

Well, not exactly.  But the proper list depends on too many factors.

> 	I have some sort of an Acer network card with a VIA Rhine chip on it.
> lspci identifies it as follows:
>
> 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT86C100A [Rhine
> 10/100] (rev 06)
> 	I'm currently using it quite happily on kernel 2.3.38, which detects it
> as follows (during boot):
>
> via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Written by Donald Becker
>   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html

That's a slightly older version, but there have been only two minor updates
since.

> 	However, when I try to use any more recent kernel, I get the following
> (during boot):
>
> via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Written by Donald Becker
>  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html
> eth0: VIA VT3043 Rhine at 0xc800, 00:60:67:44:55:c6, IRQ 18.
> eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 05e1 Link
> 0000.
>
> 	And the following error immediately when the first network interaction
> is attempted:
> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x1
> length 0 status 00000000!
> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame cf74a010 vs
> cf74a010.

This was a bug introduced by unchecked changes being put into the driver.
You should report this on linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210