4th RTL8139 card isn't working

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Mar 8 11:03:12 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Uwe Storbeck wrote:
> I have installed a linux router with 4 Realtek RTL8139 cards.
> 3 of them are working fine but the 4th does not.
> A ping to the card itself works, but no connection to the lan.
> Is it a problem that eth2 and eth3 share the same irq?

No.

> How do I change the irq? Via the bios I can't assign an interrupt to a
> specific slot. Are there module options to do that?
>
> Changing the irq with ifconfig does not work:
>   # ifconfig eth3 irq 9
>   SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported

The BIOS sets the INT to IRQ mapping.
Only the BIOS knows how the motherboard is wired -- the driver cannot change
the IRQ.  See
   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html

But that's not your problem.  Your problem is likely that the fourth slot is
not a bus master slot.  The RTL8139 is a bus master and requires a
bus-master-capable slot.

> Mar  8 14:49:22 cx kernel: eth3: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 00.
> Mar  8 14:49:22 cx kernel: eth3: Tx queue start entry 4  dirty entry 0.
> Mar  8 14:49:27 cx kernel: eth3: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 00.
> Mar  8 14:49:27 cx kernel: eth3: Tx queue start entry 4  dirty entry 0.
> Mar  8 14:49:32 cx kernel: eth3: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 00.
> Mar  8 14:49:32 cx kernel: eth3: Tx queue start entry 4  dirty entry 0.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com