RTL8139 Driver and RX-FIFO Overflow problem

S. Manivannan manis@vxl.co.in
Mon Mar 6 04:52:47 2000

Hi,

We are using your RTL8139 driver for Linux ( v1.08 ) on our browsing
terminal which uses Linux 2.0.35 Kernel. This m/c is based on a 200 MHZ
MediaGX processor from National Semiconductors.

When this m/c connects to a server which has an Intel Etherexpress ethernet
board and StartOffice is opened on the client, within a few seconds, the
application freezes. While the client is alive, it can not communicate with
the server any more. Upon analysis ( with your diag programs ) we observed
that the physical link is alive ( connectivity between hub and the client is
OK ) and the register for RX-FIFO overflow ( register 0x4C ) shows a value
of 57. This problem is noticableonly with Intel Etherexpress on the server
side. The problem vanishes if the client is forced to be in 10-Base T mode.

Is there any known problem with this version of driver for RX-Overflow? Is
there any fix available? Or IS there a different reason for the screen
freeze and the network hang-up?

Appreciate your support and prompt help,

With warm regards,

S.Manivannan
DGM-Technical,
VXL Instruments Ltd.,