[realtek] RX-Problems with RTL8139

Thomas.Friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de Thomas.Friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:47:48 +0200

Hello there!

I hope someone can help me with the following problem:
I recently installed an RTL8139-card into my Linux-Server. After
several hours, download of the latest driver and the usual problems
everything seemed to work out fine (ping etc.).

However, when trying to copy files larger than a few KB to the
server (from a Win98-Samba-Client), the transfer-rates drop to
something not very much faster than ISDN.
Then netstat-command shows me incredible numbers of RX-errors,
yet virtually no TX-errors. I tried ping -f (server to client) using
different packet sizes and got perfect transmission with packet
sizes up to some 2000 bytes, above that errors rapidly increased
and hardly any packets got transmitted correctly. (This too,
produces zillions of RX-errors but no TX-errors).
Interestingly, when I force the link to 10base-T, I get normal speed
and everything works just fine, so this is what I'm currently working
with.
I read, that old-PCI-mainboards might have trouble with long PCI-
Bursts. My mainboard definitely looks really antique. It's a
Pentium66 with PCI and VESA-Local-Bus. So I changed the
setting of RX_DMA-BURST_LEN (or whatever the name of that
option was, I'm currently not at home and can't look it up) to 1 (a
setting I saw recommended in some mail in the archive of this list)
or even to 0. However, it didn't seem to produce any effect at all
(yes, I did recompile/restart).
Of course I've also watched the hub, but it hardly shows any
collisions at all.

I hope someone can help me.

Thomas

PS.: I don't know too much about networking, but I was once told,
that regular hubs will not support full-duplex. When auto-
negotiating, my card always ends up with full-duplex-mode. Of
course I tried forcing the card into half-duplex, but I doesn't seem to
have any effect, neither for 10 nor for 100 Mbits (that is, either way
it works at 10 Mbits but not at 100Mbits).