realtek-linux problems

sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu
Fri Feb 25 20:51:14 2000

Please direct your responses to the mailing list, not to me personally.
If I can't find time to reply, someone else might.

> step 1)  plain text is checked in the format menu buddy.  relax. get over
> it.

Who's helping who here?

> After I log into linux, I get "could not look up internett address for
> CTXXXXX-A.lafaytX.in.home.com.  This will prevent GNOME from operating
> correctly.  This can be fixed by /etc/hosts"  So I looked in /etc/hosts,
> there is no directory hosts.

/etc/hosts is a file not a directory.

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5

And that error is not necessarily an indication of a hardware error.  It may
just be a DNS problem.  Can you ping the other hosts on your LAN using raw
IP addresses?

> I went in to linuxconf and punch in all the info I have from the cable modem
> company.   I tried switching it to DCHP in linux and ethernet card FAILS on
> boot up.

*How* does it fail?  Be specific.  Quote error messages.

> the link light on the hub is on.  On boot up the light on the card is on
> through the LILO process and starts blinking when it checks hardware(the
> blinks are regular paced and bright full blinks, time spaced).

I'm not really sure what that means.

> The floppy just looks at the boot disk and no other disks.  won't reconize a
> disk.

If that's all you can say, then, I'm afraid I can't help you.  You need to
be much more precise.  Quote the exact text you see on the screen that
tells you that things aren't working.

Eric