problems wiht rtl8139

sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu
Fri Feb 18 10:39:55 2000

Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply.  It's better if you direct mail
to the list rather than to just me.  When you send mail to me alone, you're
relying on me finding the time to respond, which isn't always easy.  If
you write to the list, whoever has free time can answer you.  You'll get
faster, and usually better answers that way.

> Here is an attachment from cat proc/pci and about the other questions (if I
> compiled the kernel myself) the answer is no.
> My Linux distribution is Red Hat 6.0. During installation, the program asked
> me about installing drivers for my adapter and I tryed the rtl8129 and
> rtl8139 compatible but the system answered "Can't find such device".

That's interesting.  This is the relevant part of your /proc/pci:

   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
       Vendor id=1. Device id=8139.
       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
       I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].
       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000 [0xe0800000].

Here's mine:

  Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek 8139 (rev 16).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 12.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xea002000 [0xea002000].

For some reason your card is not being recognized as a Realtek device.  The
vendor id for your card is set to 1, which I don't think is correct.  I
don't know what Realtek's vendor id actually is off the top of my head, but,
1 seems unlikely.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do about that.  Maybe Donald can offer
a suggestion.

Eric