[realtek] networking problems....

David Pitts dsp6855@mail.qx.net
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:31:08 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_013E_01C00F40.5D4B1860

Network Problems short version:

I bought 3 HP Pavilion PC's model 8772C. They came with 100Base-T LAN =
Adapters. The first one configured and is up and running no problem. The =
other two have the same problem. The network cards will not =
configure/run properly. If I try to install RedHat 6.2 and configure =
networking at the time of install, it install dies right after loading =
all the software. If I try to install RedHat 6.2 and do not configure =
networking then the install works fine. I then go back and tried to use =
linuxconf to configure networking. It let me put all of the information =
in correctly, but still would not work. The card is recognized as SMC =
1211TX and loaded the driver rtl8139. I went out to RedHat and searched =
for this card. Found that there are a couple models and some of them =
work and some do not. I downloaded the new drivers/patches for this card =
loaded it. It still did not work. I went down to the computer store and =
purchased 2 3Com cards - model no. 3CSOHO100-TX. which uses the 3c59x =
driver. I configured the networking with this card, and had the same =
problem. I downloaded the newest drivers from the web and installed =
them, and it still did not work...... ARGH!

Can anyone give me help with installing either of these cards??

Network Problems long version

HP Pavilion PC Model 8772C=20

AMD Athlon 850 MHz processor=20

HP 10/100Base-T LAN Adapter (Ethernet)

which Linux recognized as an SMC 1211TX and loaded the driver rtl8139=20

If I install RedHat 6.2 and I tell it to configure networking, the =
install locks up after installing all of the software. If I install =
RedHat 6.2 and tell it not to configure networking, it will finish =
installing. I then go back and configure networking... for example, I =
use the following:
ip: 192.168.1.181
netmask: 255.255.255.0
default gw: 192.168.1.254
primary nameserver: 192.168.1.1
I then run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
and it says that eth0 as well as lo has come up.
I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network/status
and it says that eth0 and lo are both configured devices
I run the route command and all I get is lo information
I try to do a route add ...
and it tells me that the network is down.
I run ifconfig and it returns the information for lo, but not for eth0, =
which tells me that it is down. I rerun the network restart command and =
it says it comes up.
Basically, I get nowhere with whatever I try.=20
So, I went out to=20
http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html
followed the appropriate links, downloaded appropriate software, =
installed on machine, and still have same problem.
So, I went and bought a 3Com model 3CSOHO100-TX card and replaced the =
other card with this one. I wen to Red Hat site and searched for this =
card, which uses the 3c59x driver.
Followed the appropriate links and made sure I had the drivers for this =
card.
I booted the machine with this new card and Kudzu recognized that the =
other one was gone and that this new one was there, and configured it. I =
had the exact same problems as before. I installed the driver that I had =
downloaded according to the instructions and still cannot get the cards =
to work.=20

Thanks,

David
David Pitts
President, Pitts Technical Resources, Inc
(859) 971-2255
www.dpitts.com
dpitts@mk.net

------=_NextPart_000_013E_01C00F40.5D4B1860

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times,Times New Roman" size=3D5>
<P>Network Problems short version:</P></FONT><FONT size=3D2>
<P>I bought 3 HP Pavilion PC's model 8772C. They came with 100Base-T LAN =

Adapters. The first one configured and is up and running no problem. The =
other=20
two have the same problem. The network cards will not configure/run =
properly. If=20
I try to install RedHat 6.2 and configure networking at the time of =
install, it=20
install dies right after loading all the software. If I try to install =
RedHat=20
6.2 and do not configure networking then the install works fine. I then =
go back=20
and tried to use linuxconf to configure networking. It let me put all of =
the=20
information in correctly, but still would not work. The card is =
recognized as=20
</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times,Times New Roman" size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>SMC 1211TX=20
and loaded the driver rtl8139. I went out to RedHat and searched for =
this card.=20
Found that there are a couple models and some of them work and some do =
not. I=20
downloaded the new drivers/patches for this card loaded it. It still did =
not=20
work. I went down to the computer store and purchased 2 3Com cards - =
model no.=20
3CSOHO100-TX. which uses the 3c59x driver. I configured the networking =
with this=20
card, and had the same problem. I downloaded the newest drivers from the =
web and=20
installed them, and it still did not work...... ARGH!</P>
<P>Can anyone give me help with installing either of these=20
cards??</P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times,Times New Roman" size=3D5>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Network Problems long version</P>
<P>HP Pavilion PC Model 8772C </P></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>
<P>AMD Athlon 850 MHz processor </P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times,Times New =
Roman"=20
size=3D2>
<P>HP 10/100Base-T LAN Adapter (Ethernet)</P>
<P>which Linux recognized as an </FONT><FONT size=3D2>SMC 1211TX and =
loaded the=20
driver rtl8139 </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>If I install RedHat 6.2 and I tell it to =
configure=20
networking, the install locks up after installing all of the software. =
If I=20
install RedHat 6.2 and tell it not to configure networking, it will =
finish=20
installing. I then go back and configure networking... for example, I =
use the=20
following:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>ip: 192.168.1.181</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>netmask: 255.255.255.0</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>default gw: 192.168.1.254</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>primary nameserver: 192.168.1.1</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I then run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network =
restart</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>and it says that eth0 as well as lo has come=20
up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I run =
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network/status</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>and it says that eth0 and lo are both configured =

devices</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I run the route command and all I get is lo=20
information</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I try to do a route add ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>and it tells me that the network is =
down.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I run ifconfig and it returns the information =
for lo, but=20
not for eth0, which tells me that it is down. I rerun the network =
restart=20
command and it says it comes up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Basically, I get nowhere with whatever I try.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>So, I went out to </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT =
face=3DArial>http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>followed the appropriate links, downloaded =
appropriate=20
software, installed on machine, and still have same =
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>So, I went and bought a 3Com model 3CSOHO100-TX =
card and=20
replaced the other card with this one. I wen to Red Hat site and =
searched for=20
this card, which uses the 3c59x driver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Followed the appropriate links and made sure I =
had the=20
drivers for this card.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I booted the machine with this new card and =
Kudzu=20
recognized that the other one was gone and that this new one was there, =
and=20
configured it. I had the exact same problems as before. I installed the =
driver=20
that I had downloaded according to the instructions and still cannot get =
the=20
cards to work. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>David<BR>David Pitts<BR>President, =
Pitts Technical=20
Resources, Inc<BR>(859) 971-2255<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.dpitts.com">www.dpitts.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:dpitts@mk.net">dpitts@mk.net</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_013E_01C00F40.5D4B1860--