lock up

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 27 13:02:20 1999

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Bernd Stahlbock wrote:

> I've got a embedded System running under Kernel 2.0.36 RTL 1.1.
> In the embedded PCs are Realtex RTL 8139 100TX Ethernet Chips. Now I
> get a System-Lockup all few minutes, when I put a heavy load on the
> network. I get Error messages (if the kernel is not completly dead)
> like:
>
> kfree of non-kmalloced memory: d99414, next=dc1000, order=5

This isn't a common driver problem.

> block on freelist at 24d908 isn`t free
>
> eth0 memory squeeze, deferring packet
>
> ARP: No memory to send an arp packet

Something trigged a memory allocation problem, perhaps just simple memory
corruption.  Now you have no memory to receive packets.

> I've read in the mailing lists, that some people had similar problems
> with the 8139 driver one or two years ago, but I use Version 1.06,
> which should be the newest.

Far from the newest.. the new versions are
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/rtl8139.c
and
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/index.html
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/rtl8139.c

> Is it possible, that the driver doesn't work with the RT-extension,
> for example because of buffer overflow when the RT-Kernel needs too
> much time to let the driver do his work?

I don't see a driver buffer overflow in the messages above.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov