corrupted transfers

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 10 16:24:56 1999

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 janus@eskimo.com wrote:

> I had occasion the other night to transfer a couple large ISO images
> between two of my computers (via ftp) and was getting differing md5
> sums 2 out of 3 times.
..
> The card on the receiving end is an SMC 1211TX.
> The card on the transmitting end was an eepro100.

You have a problem with the machine.  Neither of these two cards does TCP
checksumming, so any data corruption in the drivers or on the link should be
caught by the TCP data checksum.  Therefore the data is being corrupted in
the CPU, memory or on the disk.

(We don't even need to cover the CRC verification at the link layer.)

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html