RTL8139 loosing connectivity; stock 2.2.13

sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu
Mon Nov 1 11:38:52 1999

> I'm having sporadic failure using an rtl8139 with stock 2.2.13 on two
> boxes here.

Join the club.  I curse the day I bought all of those cheap rtl8139 cards...

My 3c905's never have such problems, nor any of my 10Mbps cards.

> Is there a known problem with lost connectivity? Unplugging the card and
> plugging it in again IIRC fixes the problem.

I've never seen this one, then again, I'm not sure if I tried that...

> rmmod'ing the driver and
> modprobing it back definitely fixes the problem.

Usually a simple "ifconfig down; ifconfig up" works too.

Eric