RTL8139 loosing connectivity; stock 2.2.13

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@radiumsystems.com.br
Mon Nov 1 11:18:35 1999

Please note I'm sorry if this is a "try the cesdis driver" kind of
question.

I'm having sporadic failure using an rtl8139 with stock 2.2.13 on two
boxes here. It's strange - it seems like it's loosing link but the lights
on my hub stay on. It's just as if the cable were working - except it
isn't. I've switched cables to no avail and am really down to either a
broken card or a broken driver.

Is there a known problem with lost connectivity? Unplugging the card and
plugging it in again IIRC fixes the problem. rmmod'ing the driver and
modprobing it back definitely fixes the problem. Just don't forget to fix
the routes when you do that. 8)