Problem with RTL8139

Damien Persohn damien.persohn@wanadoo.fr
Thu May 13 08:16:28 1999

Hello, I currently use this configuration :
    Pentium 133
    32 MB Ram
    HDD IDE 8GB
    Ethernet adapter 100Mbps RealTek 8139
    2.0.36 kernel (RedHat 5.2)
    Samba 2.0.3 with security = domain

I made a new kernel, then I tried to transfer data from my Win98
workstation, but my Linux SMB serveur hangs, and it said I've got problems
with IRQs. I knew the RTL8139 driver you provide is experimental, but maybe
you've got a new version, included in more recent kernels ?

An other matter : I saw on your website the Ethernet card must be installed
in a PCI-busmaster slot. I don't know if my machine supports that feature :
the motherboard is a SI55P, and I've flashed the BIOS.

While Linux starts, I've several messages about the network card : the first
tells the card is recognized on IRQ 11 and 0x6000.
Then :
modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4
modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5
modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4
modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5....

That's why I ask for your help.
I can use telnet, SMB, or HTTP services, but the data rate mustn't be high.

Thanks a lot !
Damien Persohn damien.persohn@wanadoo.fr