minor bug/problem

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 29 13:38:54 1999

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Mr Patrick Ian Mackinlay wrote:

> I am using your realtek driver on a linux system with kernel
> version 2.2.3
> Most of the time it works fine, however if I mount a zip
> drive using the ppa driver things start going wrong! My network
> keeps on going down and I can't ping anything other than my own
> machine. To fix this I simply use ifconfig to bring the interface
> down and then up again.
> The strange thing is that once the interface is up I can ftp
> directly onto the zip drive and all will work fine, however if
> I start other network activity, such as browsing the web, the
> interface keeps on stopping.
> I have checked the dma, interrupt and io resources as reported
> by /proc and there seem to be no conflicts.

It appears that intensive use of the PCI bus, typically video card block
copies,  will starve the RTL8139 of bus bandwidth causing the chip to halt.

Please try v1.06, which should recover from more types of chip halts.

(I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is happening.)

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html