problem

Orestes =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=E1nchez?= Benavente osb19@tid.es
Tue Dec 21 20:42:35 1999

> vishvesh@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> hi,
> i am vishvesh from india.
> i am working as network engg & using Redhat linux from past 1 year
> we purches a new d-link card DFE-538TX a fast ethernet card
> i am using redhat linux 6.1 with latest kernal
> the card is detected as pnp card at bootup & linux detected as rtl8139
> but we are unable to ping other m/c throu linux
> the card is working fine & checked with ifconfig -a for card
> information
> i tried with recompiling a new kernal also
> i am using d-link switch
> pl provide some help
>
> vishvesh

Hello.

Have you tried "cat /proc/pci"? This is an extract of mine's:

    Ethernet controller: Realtek 8139 (rev 16).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 0.  Master
Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xa800 [0xa801].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe1000000 [0xe1000000].

Look at the IRQ. If there is no IRQ message or the IRQ is 0, I have had
the same problem, but it was a BIOS configuration problem. There is BIOS
option called something like "Do you have a PnP operating  system?".
When this option is on, the BIOS DOES NOT assign IRQ nor addresses to
some devices: it delegates it to the OS. Linux is not fully PnP, so it
can manage it. If you turn the option off, the BIOS manage the resource
asignment and the card get its IRQ.

If the IRQ is right in the pci message, edit the file /etc/conf.modules
and add

    option XXXXXX debug=10

for your card module. This options adds tons of debug messages to the
/var/log/messages. Then try to unload manually the module with:

  ifdown eth0
  modprobe -r XXXXX

where XXXX is the module for your network card. Then try to load it
again with:

  modprobe XXXXXX
  ifup eth0

Perhaps your kernel version is not syncronized with your modules
version.

Bye.
--
Orestes Sánchez Benavente       Grupo Apex, S.A.
osb19@tid.es                    Agastia, 60 bajo 28034 MADRID