Bridging trouble with RTL 8139

Martin Leopold leopold@diku.dk
Thu Dec 2 14:31:25 1999

Dear all.
I have a somewhat tricky bugreport. Me setup is this: I have a 10 Mbps LAN
with a Windows 98 box and a 100 Mbps LAN allso with Windows 98. As bridge
between the two networks I have i Linux box with a NE2k comp. 10 Mbps ISA
card and a RTL8139 100 Mbps PCI card. The Linux box is a Pentium 100 with
16 Mb RAM running Slackware Linux (3.3 I think) the kernel is 2.2.12.

The trouble is this: When I try to access SMB shares from either side of
the LAN I get some very wierd time-out errors. Windows reads half a
directory, stops and waits (with no network activity) for a while, resumes
and reads the rest. Just as if a frame got lost and both sides are waiting
for each other. I tried changing the Windows machines with Linux boxes and
it seems to be working fine (SMB, ftp, telnet) - why I have no idea.

I've tried changing the RTL card with a 3Com 905B card and the bridging
works fine. I wanted to use the RTL card as the bridge from 100 -> 10
because its so cheap and since the 10 Mbps card is surly going to be the
bottle neck, it doesn't matter that the RTL card has such lousy preformance.

If some points are unclear, send me a reply, and I'll try to explain them
better.

De bedste hilsner
Martin Leopold, Datalogisk Institut, Københavns Universitet.
<http://www.scandicnetpay.com/tilmelding.php3?Ref=214585>www.scandicnetpay.
com/tilmelding.php3?Ref=214585