Error: Oversized Ethernet Frame

Martin Ehmke ehmke@technologist.com
Fri Aug 27 13:45:13 1999

Hi,
I've been using two Fast Ethernet cards with the rtl8139 chip about two
weeks, to connect to computers using a cross-link cable.
When I use the connection for low bandwidth (www,mail,etc.) it works fine.
Transfering large files (>10MB) works also fine in general, but if there
is larger cpu-load (e.g. compiling a kernel) I get the following error
message, especially if I transfer via Samba or NFS:
Oversized Ethernet Frame: <memory-address>

After this error I can't transmit any data (no pings, etc.). If I do an
"ifconfig eth0 down" and "ifconfig eth0 up" it works again, but this is no
real solution...
It occurs only if I receive data on the machine (P90) I use as server and
router.

This problem is reproducable: I simply must install a windows application
on a network device which points to a share on the linux-box using Samba.
Alternatively I could use on both machines linux and copy data to the
server via nfs.

I have searched many newsgroups about this problem and there are a lot of
other people who have similar problems using other cards, but I couldn't
find any message which would have helped me.

So I hope that you could help me to solve this problem!

    Thank You

	    Martin Ehmke