More thumbs up for 1.02 [Re: rtl8139 problems]

Janos Farkas Janos.Farkas-nouce/priv-#cBIMAAr4aWb9MsH7m0PHN/KCBQu@lk9qw.mail.eon.ml.org
Fri Sep 4 11:25:14 1998

I compiled 1.02 this morning, and it now recovers from that dreaded
transmit timeout.

To recap, I've got a 8139, and it seemed to completely die on a transmit
timeouts, rendering the network unusable.  Even after ifconfig down/up,
the network very soon (sometimes in a few minutes) either freezed, or
have turned verry slow.  I'm on a 10mbit network, and I seem to be able
to reproduce the problem by telling the local win-guys to compile over
network between themselves, and running two ping floods to two arbitrary
local host.

1.02 successfully recovered at least two times from the state where it
would go catathonic before, although when the network was still in use
by the other guys, it took two transmit timeouts/resets to be completely
alive (i.e. 10 seconds).  Hopefully nothing will happen on the weekend
which is more fatal, previously, every transmit timeout was fatal.

--
Janos - Don't worry, my address is real.  I'm just bored of spam.