[netdrivers] latest on gige cards and performance?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Aug 28 00:36:01 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> 03:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
>
> 01:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82544EI Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller (rev 02)

I only know the chips by the PCI IDs, and I don't know all of the
features.  Intel considers the changes more significant than the
pin-outs to be trade secrets.

> The Catalyst 6509 we have seems to support this.  It was only 'til a few
> moment ago that I realized that in order to do jumbo frames, that both the
> machine and the switch need to support this.

And both have to explicitly configured.  There is no way to do this
automatically, and a mismatch causes horribly evil problems.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993