[netdrivers] Adaptec 6922

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Aug 13 11:55:02 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Frischknecht Peter wrote:

> I did attempt to use the tulip driver first, here is what happens:
> (relevant output of /var/log/messages)
> ***
> Aug 13 06:51:21 localhost kernel: Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9
> , 2002)

This isn't the driver that comes with the netdrivers package.  You'll
likely have more success with the unmodified driver.

mkdir /tmp/netdrivers/
cd /tmp/netdrivers/
ncftpget ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers.tgz
tar xfvz netdrivers.tgz
make
make install

> Aug 13 06:51:21 localhost kernel: tulip0: ***WARNING***: No MII transceiver foun
> d!

This will prevent the driver from detecting the autonegotiated duplex.

> That is why I started looking around for the solution.
> I came accross his statement in one of the pages at scyld:
> http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> (from the very top of the document...about the 4th paragraph down)
> "...The Adaptec DuraLAN (AKA "Starfire") chip, starfire.c <ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/starfire.c> . The DuraLAN chip is used on the new 64 bit PCI boards from Adaptec e.g. the ANA-6922A. The older 32 bit boards use the tulip driver. ..."

The key element there is "64 bit".
I've corrected and expanded the part number list to avoid this problem
in the future.

> I still look forward to any help you might give me.

Try the Tulip driver from scyld.com using the instructions above.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993