[epic] eth0: Too much work at interrupt - PCI IRQ-sharing problem?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 10:57:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Thomas Stroesslin wrote:

> Subject: [epic] eth0: Too much work at interrupt - PCI IRQ-sharing problem?
>
> I also get this error. It blocks everything, I don't receive/transmit
> any more packets at all...

What is the driver and kernel version that you are running?
Please include this information on all reports.

> Anthony: hmm, I'll try increasing max_interrupt_work. but then again,
> this is like ignoring a big WARNING sign, isn't it?

Yes.
Various 2.4 kernels do seem to have problems either with blocking
interrupts for long periods, or triggering timeouts faster than specified.

> Apr 30 14:14:28 mantrapc1 kernel: eth0: Too much work at interrupt,
> IntrStatus=0x008d0004.

Hmmm, interrupts have been blocked for long enough that the receive
queue filled up!

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993