SMC's own driver

Juergen Quade FB03 quju0001@fh-niederrhein.de
Tue Mar 21 06:10:11 2000

> Hi there!

> To get a rough overview of the transfer rates that could be achieved
> with this setup I performed some FTP transfers. To my surprise the rates
> have been below the ones I achieved with a simple ISA card connected to
> an equivalent 10Base2 cable using the same computer!
>
> Here are some possible explanations to this facts:
>   - a defect card (at first I would like to exclude this)
>   - disturbances in the fiber optic part of our network (which is used
> very little at the time being)
>   - problems with SMC's driver

So I did a very rough performance test:
	The performance variies very very much, but to give you a
	number: it is about 20 and 30 kByte/sec, which is more
	than 10 times less than a normal 10Mbit Card :-(

Your card seems _not_ to be defect.

But because SMC provides the source code for the driver, it should
now be possible to find out:
	- why is Donalds driver not working with fiber PHY interface
	- why is the SMC driver slow

If I ever get some spare time ...

       Juergen.