[epic] Re: epic100.c fix for 2.2.x kernels

Andreas Steinmetz ast@domdv.de
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:29:31 +0200 (MEST)

Not exactly:
You can compile the module - that's it. There's calls to pci_drv_register() and
pci_drv_unregister that are not part of the 2.2.x kernels. Thus you're stuck
with unresolved symbols and an unloadable module.
Reworking this would mean to reimplement the 2.2.x semantics which would
basically result in a new driver version.

On 06-Jul-2000 Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
>> The first thing I tried was to get a current driver for 2.2.x kernels from
>> the
>> driver author's website - to no avail, new drivers only for development
>> kernels.
>
> Not true, Donald's drivers do -not- work with development kernels
> (except for early ones).
>
> You are most likely not downloading all the modules required,
> pci-scan.*, kern_compat.h, etc.  In general if I have problems with a
> 2.2.x bundled kernel driver, I'll download one from Donald's site and
> try it.
>
>       Jeff

Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH