[eepro100] Micro code of i82557

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Wed Oct 17 13:25:07 PDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Zhang, Xing Z wrote:

> 	I am doing an eepro100 emulator for QEMU that is dynamic binary translation emulator. All my works based on a native
> I82557 card. Now my emulator can work in linux but not windows.
> When I debugging into windows, I found the windows driver will
> execute a load microcode CU command, which patches microcode on card's RAM and changes its behavior.
> 	After microcode loaded, the driver delivers some unknown
> commands to CUC(not CB list) such as 0011. I guess it's related
> to microcode which is loaded before.
> 	I google it, but found no doc for developing microcode patches. Could anyone kindly give me some hints(how can I get these docs)? Great thx.

I don't think that Intel externally documents downloadable microcode, or
what their modified microcode does.

You might try changing the PCI ID of the emulator to a different one
supported by the driver, especially an one for older hardware.  This may
change the driver behavior to not modify the microcode.