[eepro100] eth0: can't fill rx buffer

Hristo Chernev chercho at mail.bg
Fri Oct 15 06:06:03 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have a heavy loaded web server which crashes at least once in a month.
There is nothing in the syslog ( even it is logging via the network too), the
screen almost always dark, no keyboard response , no network.
Only reset works..

The system:
Dual Xeon 2.4GHz 400MHz
e7500 Supermicro P4DPE Motherboard
5GB DDR200 ECC Registered RAM
Internal Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 LAN
RedHat 9 with 2.4.20-31.9custom #1 SMP kernel

It is a colocated server so the info we have is from the support guys.
Today it crashed again and luckily the support guy caught the system still
giving the video output. The error filling the screen was:

eth0: can't fill rx buffer

After some googleing I found that this is a common issue with heavy loaded
systems with eepro100 driver and got to the conclusion that for the 2.4 kernels
the only workaround is to use the e100 Intel driver.
Is that true?
Isn't the eepro100 driver fixed already?
Or isn't a similar kernel parameters tunning for the 2.4 like there is for the
2.2 kernels?

Regards,
Hristo Chernev

1 Gb ÏÎÙÀ Â Mail.bg