[eepro100] Apologies for the recent scam letters

David T-G davidtg@justpickone.org
Fri Oct 4 15:14:01 2002

--2suWxhRNFFJI65F9

Donald --

=2E..and then Donald Becker said...
%=20
% On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, David T-G wrote:
%=20
% > Rather than a moderated list, can you allow only members to post,
% > and perhaps moderate only the subscription requests?
%=20
% That works on some of the lists such as the Beowulf list.  But the
% driver list discussions are almost always started from some new person
% reporting a bug.

Hmmm...  Very good point.  Well, perhaps a modification so that only
approved posters can post, like a whitelist.  But there's no need to
spend endless amounts of time devising more and better list management
if list management isn't one's passion :-)

%=20
% >  Have you also
% > considered using SpamAssassin, which does an excellent job of catching
% > this and much other spam?
%=20
% But it doesn't hook into the Mailman list management system.  I have a
% wishlist for Mailman, and this is at the top.  Second is unified

Hmmm...  That would be nice, too.  I was thinking of prefiltering before
it even gets to mailman (or whatever; I hadn't paid attention to what
software runs this list), and if it's trapped it's held aside.  Just run
it all through procmail (or maildrop or Mail::Audit or whatever) and
clean it a bit before it gets to the list.

% moderation where I can mark all thirty copies, sent to the thirty
% lists, as rejected on one web page.  Third is editing the settings for

Heh :-)

% all lists at one -- right now I have to edit the filter rules one at a
% time.

You could probably accomplish some of that with procmail as well, but
there is some list-specific stuff that would have to be done on a
one-by-one basis.  That sounds like another good wish.

%=20
% One day last week I deleted 114 spam and virus messages.  That gets
% really annoying.

Yeah, I know what you mean :-)

%=20
% > would provide near-full-moderation protection...  Please feel free to
% > follow up with me if I can be of any assistance implementing SA; I've
% > done it a few times already and it can be quite transparent.

Still hoping I can help :-)

%=20
% --=20
% Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
% Scyld Computing Corporation		http://www.scyld.com
% 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
% Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

HAND

:-D
--=20