[eepro100] RedHat-6.2 and (IBM) Dual Port Server Adapter.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jun 18 16:55:39 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Nate Amsden wrote:

> Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > I'm trying to see if there is any current information on the stability
> > of the IBM "10/100 Dual Port Server Adapter", IBM part number 22P4901
> >
> > We have reports of some latency problems and we upgraded to the Donald
> > Becker 1.21 driver and we are getting some errors like the following:
> >
> > Command 0000 was not immediately accepted, 104 ticks!
> > Command 0000 was not immediately accepted, 106 ticks!

I've updated the driver to wait longer before complaining, and to
accurately report the command that was "stuck".
This message is harmless if the driver continues running.

> > eth0: Unknown receiver error, status=0x7048.

This message is reporting "Rx has no resources", but it's not a lack of
receive buffers.  That likely means that the eepro100 chip couldn't get
enough bus bandwidth, or there was a PCI transaction problem.

> while i have not tried this adapter, do these errors cause problems?
> I have 1 system that has a lot of:
> Command 0000 was not immediately accepted, 107 ticks!
> Command 0000 was not immediately accepted, 102 ticks!
> Command 0000 was not immediately accepted, 114 ticks!

Mostly harmless, although a properly working adapter in a system that's
not overloaded should not take so long to do things.  The cause of these
messages seems to be very chip version specific.