[eepro100] eth0: card reports no resources - can you help me identify which version of this problem I'm having?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jun 11 21:23:00 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Nate Amsden wrote:

> Robert Fentiman said:
> > After looking through the ML archives, I know you're probably
> tired
> > of hearing this one, but even so I would appreciate your help in
> > tracking down which version of the cause and possible solution for
> > the problem I'm seeing.
>
> while i don't have a solution, i have a workaround that
> works for me. when this happens if I reset the interface
> (on debian via /etc/init.d/networking restart) it fixes the
> problem.  I have a similar issue on 3COM 3C905 cards, different
> error message, but same result, and the same workaround works.

If the problem is that the kernel is running short of memory, even
though the machine has plenty of RAM, try the tuning the VM parameters:

2.2 kernels
   echo 500 1000 2000 > /proc/sys/vm/freepages
and 2.4 kernels
   echo "100 500 200" > /proc/sys/vm/bdflush

I suggested this recently on this mailing list... (searching...) April
24, 2002