[eepro100] eepro100 and Compaq Evo N600c Notebook

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Jul 19 13:53:43 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Roman Hochleitner wrote:

> i'm having problems with the builtin eepro100 device in the evo N600c.
> i use this notebook as a diskless client booting from the net.
> the notebook is connected via a crosslink cable to my server which uses a
> 3com 509 10Mbit ISA card, which is set to half duplex.

Ouch!  Do you have a buggy whip to keep the system at a trot ;-O

> the driver seems to work but there are a lot of error messages and eth
> restarts and thus it is very slow and uncomfortable. the error messages
> that mess up my screen look like this:
>
> Command 0080 was not immediately accepted, 10001 ticks (there are usually
> alot of this messages)
..
> it seems that there are far more errors when the power supply cable is
> NOT attached.

Ahhhh, on your system that likely means there was a PCI clock issue.
The bus and processor are slowed when on battery power.

I'm guessing that you are encountering the Sleep Mode bug in the chip.
Check that SLEEP mode is not turned on with
  eepro100-diag -ee

http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
  ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/

> any idea what is wrong? is my 3c509 causing this

No...  a 3c509 isn't going to be overloading your laptop ;->

> or do i have to set the eepro100 to 10Mbit half duplex somehow?

Autosensing works fine.  The 3c509 doesn't have autonegotiation, and
full duplex would overload the ISA bus anyway.