[eepro100] eepro and SMC switch issue

Derek Balling dredd@megacity.org
Tue Jan 29 14:21:04 2002

OK, I spent the better part of a morning beating myself up, retesting
cables, etc., and have come to conclusion that my eepro100 does NOT
like ONE of my SMC switches, but has no problem with the other.

The dmesg output is:

eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:06:5B:3A:AE:05, IRQ 16.
   Board assembly 02d484-000, Physical connectors present: RJ45
   Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
   General self-test: passed.
   Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
   Internal registers self-test: passed.
   ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).

If I try to connect this card (or its eth1 counterpart on IRQ17) to
my SMC EZ1024DT, it works like a champ. If I move the cable from the
1024 switch to my SMC 1016DT, it refuses to get a link-established
light.

After a frustrating three hours at the colo testing cables, retesting
cables, swapping switches, etc., can someone give me a ticket on the
cluebus on this one? ;-)

| dredd@megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |